This week’s question from my portal “The Neagle Code: Directions for Life” comes from someone who wishes to remain anonymous.
I’m having inconsistency in my business, and it’s bothering me. My goal is make more money and have less confusion and fewer steps to get there. I want to have fewer, higher paying clients. I know I can get these bigger clients, but I keep taking all the little clients.
I want to help them all. When someone comes to me, it’s like, “Why would I say no to someone who wants to pay me money? If I say no to this person, what if something else doesn’t come along?” But when I do that, I have less time to find that bigger client. What should I do?
That’s coming from fear.
It’s actually out of integrity for you to take every client. You can’t—and shouldn’t—help everyone.
As a professional, your job is to determine whether you can really help someone or not… and if you should help them or not.
You have to look at your own criteria. Consider:
- How you want to run your business
- The freedom you want
- The amount of money you want to make
- The people whom you can help
There will be always someone who wants your help, who you probably shouldn’t work with. You have to learn how to discern that—and not take those clients, even if they’re willing to pay you.
That’s not okay. If you do that, you lose. And you hurt your own integrity.
I know it seems crazy, but it’s a lack mindset to think otherwise.
You’ll feel so good about yourself when you tell someone, “No,” who seriously wants to pay you—because they don’t fit the criteria for working with you. That feels so good.
You’ll realize you’re overcoming your own fear of lack when you do that, which indicates growth—and that’s really good.
you shouldn’t help everyone,
even if you CAN help them.
You mentioned that you want to work with “big clients.” So keep that in mind when you’re speaking to a potential client. Use a discerning process to look at whether a client fits your criteria.
Is the person who’s coming to you for help a “big” client? If the answer is yes, then you can proceed and figure out whether or not you can help them.
If the answer is no, then it’s not a match. Move on. Because you can’t help everyone.
P.S. Whenever you’re ready… here are 3 ways I can help you grow YOUR business:
- Listen to The Successful Mind Podcast. Three times per week I drop cutting edge information and strategies relating to success mindset, leadership, wealth creation, and relationships.
- Join other like-minded small business owners in my Transformation Facebook Group! Allow us to be a place to share ideas, get advice, and meet others who value truth and growth!
- Join me at The Art of Success Summit! This October, I’m getting a group of amazing business owners together for 3 days to work on exponentially growing their business.